martes, 15 de abril de 2014

First Teaching Second Period

Now in this second period I had to teach the basic section; at the beginning I was a Little worried because they are students who are just starting and you have to adapt to their level. The first topic I had to teach was the use of “some” and “any” for countable an uncountable nouns. The topic was very nice because you have many different ways to teach this, so I went there to the class and started the group with a warm up in which I wrote some letters of the alphabet on the board and the students had to go and write the fruits or vegetables they found and fit for every letter; they really liked the activity because they were challenging each other, and I decided that they had to write fruits because food was also a secondary topic for the lesson. After that turned to explain the use of “some” for countable and uncountable nouns in the affirmative and interrogative form and then the use of “any” for countable and uncountable nouns in the negative and interrogative form; just to check if they did understand the grammar point I explained I passed a completion exercise in which they had to write “some” or “any” and most of them did it correctly. Almost at the end of the class the students had to stand up and interview two of their classmates about all the food they had in their fridges, but they were asked to use “some”, “any” or even “there is” and “there are” which they previously saw. At the end of the class the students were asked to perform a role play in which they had to order something in a restaurant. During all the class students had some doubts with some words so after every activity I tried to explain all the new words and meanings. I felt satisfied with the class, but I knew that I can improve it so I will do my best in the next one because there were some aspects in which I failed like having an specific objective for the class.

5 comentarios:

  1. I had to teach basic students too, and I had to teach them the same topic, it was a Little bit challenging because students in this level tend to get confused with countable and uncountable nouns. It is really important to look for the best activities in which they all can be involve and participate and where they can learn and practice what they are learning. I did some other different activities and I was also satisfied because they did all I asked them to do and understood the topic pretty well. There is nothing else so good for a teacher tan seing his students practicing what he has previously taught, and that´s how you feel my friend. keep on working hard and do better in every class, blessings.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. hi danny!!! I know how you felt in basic level because I was teaching basic level, my experience with those guys was really nice, despite they were 31 students, I enjoyed doing many activities as I can, my recommendation for you is when you have many students in one group you have to encourage them to do group work, is better for you and for them because they participate a lot, students from this level are courious and they want to know everything, this can be a benefit for you because they like to learn new things every day. keep doing thins very well!! have a nice day dany!

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Well, i think that to adapt the English to the students is something difficult. I have some problems when doing this, especially if students do not understand.
    But, I strongly believe that we are doing well in these practices. I aslo feel conforable and self-asured of what I am doing.

    ResponderBorrar
  4. Hello Dany, congratulations you did a good job with your students. I had to work with students of Basic English too.
    Sometimes, it was hard to teach them as students did not know too much vocabulary. I liked the activities that you did because those activities helped students to understand the topic in a better way. Also, it was great that you explained the new vocabulary to the students.

    ResponderBorrar
  5. Hi Daniel, I really liked they way you started the class, The warm up you performed was really interesting, The way you performed the whole class was creative, and that's what teachers need to develop a nice environment in the classroom.

    ResponderBorrar